Monday, September 6, 2010

10 things to ponder after Week 1

So, you're going to forget about Tim Tebow, are you?

I've watched Florida for a long time, and I've had a lot of people ask me "Hey, what happened to the Gators?" this weekend.

Simply put, it was the worst performance I have seen from a Gator football team in more than 25 years. I would have to go back in my archives to try and remember a worse one, and I think I will. But for now, it's the worst I can remember.

I said it on Twitter, and I'll say it here. John Brantley IV can't hold Tom Savage's jock strap right now. He has a long climb ahead of him.

The Gators can forget about competing with Alabama and Ohio State, because they need to worry about beating USF first.

Or how about completing a center snap? Mike Pouncey had a nightmare of a game, and any time people are talking about a center, it's bad news.

Here's what else is on my mind as I wait for Boise State and Virginia Tech to get it on:

* Oklahoma had its hands full with Utah State, looking very Florida-like, and yet the Sooners opened as 10-point favorites over Florida State.

With this week coming up slated as the armageddon week for college powers, a lot of these big clashes sure have big spreads. Miami is a 10-point dog to Ohio State, and Oregon is a 13 1/2-point favorite at Tennessee.

(It wasn't that long ago that, if FSU and Miami were 10-point dogs, they must have been facing the San Francisco 49ers.)

Alabama is a 9 1/2-point favorite against Penn State as well, meaning the bookies don't agree with the hype mongers at the Disney Corp. who are telling us how great these games are going to be.

At least Notre Dame is only a 6-point favorite over Michigan, but my early instinct is to stick with the Wolverines.

* Going back one last time to OU and Florida scuffling around with inferior foes, I offer this - Oregon 72, New Mexico 0. That is how you take care of business in Week 1. I am not sure that translates to a two-touchdown margin in Knoxville, but we'll see.

* Jeremiah Masoli got his wishes to play for Ole Miss, but the gods didn't care for his treachery, as Jacksonville State upset the Rebels on Saturday.

They can't pin this one on Masoli, though, as the team scored 48 points. How do you give up 49 to Jax State? The Gamecocks are a solid FCS program (hung with Florida State to the bitter end last year), but that result was ridiculous.

Still, can't help but smile.

* North Carolina played tough against LSU Saturday night despite missing 13 players, including key starters on both sides.

I am thinking by the time the Tar Heels play Rutgers, they could be nasty if they get some of those guys back.

And yes, I think it was pass interference at the end of the game.

* Turner Gill turned Buffalo from a joke into a MAC champion. Sadly, his first game at Kansas didn't go as well in a 6-3 loss to North Dakota State. To me, that gets the "Was That a Misprint?" Award for this week.

* I haven't saved much love for Lane Kiffin in my Christmas prayers each year, but part of me admires his approach at USC.

With the team getting slapped with severe probation and having nothing tangible to play for, the Trojans are going to do things their way.

They're going for fourth downs. They're attempting unnecessary two-point conversions. And you know what? I'd do the same thing if it were me.

So kudos, Kiffin, but I don't want you to think we're friends or anything.

* If you don't love watching triple option football, find another sport. It's like the crane kick - if it's done right, you can't defend it. Thank you, Navy, for keeping it alive.

* Last week, I went 5-3 on my column picks, thanks to big over covers from East Carolina-Tulsa and SMU-Texas Tech.

* Speaking of big numbers, here's four to watch out of nowhere for the Heisman:

1. Denard Robinson, Michigan - 197 yards on the ground and huge win. Love to watch this kid, I just hope he stays upright for 12 games.

2. Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State - 257 yards and four touchdowns against Washington State. Yes, it was Wazzu, but holy cow. He reminds me of that other OSU running back...

3. Dominique Davis, East Carolina - 383 yards and six total touchdowns. The Pirates can't stop anyone, but maybe they don't have to.

4. Kenjon Barner, Oregon - If he scores five touchdowns on Rocky Top, watch this kid. And he hasn't even punched anyone.

5. Tyler Russell, Mississippi State - 256 yards and four touchdowns. Dan Mullen has already coached one Heisman winner.

Of course, Kellen Moore shoots right to the top with a big game tonight, and then we wonder who will knock him off if America's love affair with Boise State continues.

Then again, the boys from VPI are pretty tough, too.

- Matthew Osborne

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVED Denard Robinson's play this past weekend. It's amazing how much can change in one off-season. Robinson can't complete a pass last year...all he could do is run...now in this game he goes 19-22...runs for 197...and his buddy Tate Forcier (our starter last year) has been demoted to 3rd string. Rich Rod is still not my favorite guy in the world...but man his offense looked good the other day

September 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home